Friday, October 16, 2009

Make a Joyful Noise!

I and three of my fellow music education students have been blessed with the opportunity of facilitating a music ministry at a local correctional facility in the form of a men's choir. The focus is going to be on Christian, particularly Gospel-esque, music - with emphasis on rhythm and spiritual connection over harmonic complexity.

I would like this blog, whether or not I end up being the sole contributor, to be an open and frank reflection and planning space for the ministry's goals and works. I hope to refer to it later in my travels as a music educator and recall what elements were successful in our experiments and what just didn't work.

When I have time later this weekend, I would like to write a reflection on the past two rehearsals with the ensemble and record my hopes for the future, as well as practical ideas for the next few weeks. I might also link to relevant journal articles and online resources. For now, however, other assignments beckon...

Peace,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment